Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bookmarks XXX (30): Rainbow Pennants

I've been a bit worried about this bookmark. Even when I didn't know what it would be, or when I would make it, I worried. Because this is the 30th bookmark, and I am numbering them with Roman numerals... and XXX doesn't always mean 30 in our modern world.

This bookmark is so family-safe it doesn't even have any images on it! Just triangles! I guess if you have serious issues with triangles that aren't quite isosceles it could be annoying to look at, but that's the most danger your eyes will encounter here.

This bookmark came together very simply based mainly on two challenges: Emergency Crafters' "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and Frosted Designs' "Triangles!". Apparently I wasn't feeling terribly interpretive, because I made some triangles in rainbow colors.

I don't have all the nice bright primary/secondary learned-'em-in-kindergarten colors of paper, but I do have them in embossing powder. So I made my triangles by free-hand-cutting some white cardstock, took an embossing pen to them, and used the embossing powder to create color.

I am glad I decided not to try to get perfect coverage with the embossing pen. The advantage of an embossing pen is that as long as you keep re-inking the paper and re-sprinkling the powder and hitting it with the heat gun, you can eventually achieve full coverage no matter what your level of heat embossing proficiency. But by choosing not to try for perfect, but to leave my embossing deliberately streaky, I saved a lot of time and created a bit of an interesting effect. The rest of the bookmark is so simple that solid blocks of color might not have worked as well as my imperfect ones.

I couldn't decide whether my triangles ought to go on black or on white. So I put them on a nice pearlescent grey and called it good.

I'm entering this bookmark in the following challenges:

Supplies: (white 110lb. cardstock is from Staples)

(Edited 9-26-12 to add supplies list.)

11 comments:

  1. Love your ingenuity and artsy bookmark! Cool colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bookmark, I love the effect of the embossing powder on the triangles. Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I love the streaky look of the embossing! Thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I love it! Great colors, too! Thanks so much for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous bookmark :-) the colours and simple design are perfect :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun bookmark! Thanks for playing along with us @ Frosted Designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you have all those colors in embossing powder! Beautiful bookmark, thank you for sharing it with us at anything but a card!

    Jessica
    www.anythingbutacard.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you have all those colors in embossing powder! Beautiful bookmark, thank you for sharing it with us at anything but a card!

    Jessica
    www.anythingbutacard.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! look at all those colours! LOVELY bookmark!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Anything but a card.com :)
    Sammi
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look! Cheerful,lively colors, too. Thanks for joining us at THE ROBYN'S FETISH CHALLENGE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great bookmark, thanks for joining our first challenge at Ladybug crafts, Gaynor xx

    ReplyDelete