Sunday, October 14, 2012

Bookmarks XXXIX: Paisley Tea

This bookmark fought me and fought me and I'm not entirely certain I've won. Still, it's hard to lose completely with a bookmark: regardless of its aesthetic appeal, it will certainly be successful at marking my place in a book.

I do not think I ended up making this bookmark out of any of the things I started with. I had visions of cherries and milkshakes and pink, like a pretty vintage ice cream advertisement poster.

Well, I have a cherry background I'm happy with. And I have a cute little milkshake all cut out and pink as you could wish. But the milkshake doesn't work on the background! If I don't back it with something, it blends in. If I do, the backing is awkward and pushes the cherry background into a red muddle. Argh!

So I put that aside, picked up some pretty purple paisley paper and a scrap I've been using to wipe up sprays from my craft mat, and made tea. Pretty pink & purple paisley tea. I whacked at some white lace ribbon with purples and pinks and added that too, to up the vintage quota.

I like the teapot, but I must admit that the teacup is a bit of a muddle: i.e., until I tell you that it is a teacup, it's just this muddled shape. D'you think it would be easier to see if I colored all the teacup parts in with the purple pen? Maybe I'll do that.

(I suppose it's fitting that this distressed piece of paper ends up being part of a tea bookmark -- its first round of distressing, way under all the pinky-purple, was Tea Dye Distress Ink.)

I'm entering this bookmark into the following challenges:

Supplies: (purple paisley cardstock is from Recollections/Michaels, and lace is Celebrate It Occasions/Michaels white 7/8")

13 comments:

  1. Very pretty bookmark.
    http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful case of distressing & a fab story to it too!
    Thanks for sharing your lovely bookmark with us at The Crafty Pad this week in our Distress It Challenge!
    Good Luck
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty bookmark!
    Thanks for joining us at Link Up For Pink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice bookmark. Love the distressed colors. Thanks for joining Speedy Fox and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome bookmark. Great take on the challenge.Thanks for joining us at Speedy Fox & Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty bookmark. Love the colors. Thanks, for joining us over at Speedy Fox and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great take on the challenge...great use of swirls. Thanks for joining us at Speedy Fox and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds as you are a bit distressed about your bookmark, well don't be as it's fab !! Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Pad !!

    hugs Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the swirls and the colors! Its just beautiful!!! Thanks for joining us this week at Speedy Fox and Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOH this is wonderful. Lush colours and texture.
    Thank you for taking part in the Craftymess 'Anything Goes' with us.

    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love how you got your scrap! Now that is using a scrap! Fantastic! Thanks for joining us this week at HIMCR!

    Hiding in My Craft Room
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful story of how distressed both you and your bookmark got ... I'm still chuckling!!! I think it is a beautiful project and I love the rich colours you've used. Thanks for sharing it at The Crafty Pad this week in our "Distress It" challenge.
    Helen x (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your cool bookmark, sometimes you need to keep working on a project to get it to your liking and it ends up looking like nothing you were going for in the first place! Been there :) Thank you for playing along with us @ Fab 'n Funky this week :)

    ReplyDelete